anyone close to me knows my issues. my struggles. how sensitive the whole topic is for me. truth of the matter, there's times where i think something is wrong with me.
but clearly need help. cuz instead, i'm going to the exact extreme and leaving my girls for a week. i'm taking a week to focus on me. focus on my marriage. relax. take long showers. go to the bathroom by myself. eat warm meals. etc, etc.
i know what i need to do. what i need to get out of this week. what i want my girls to get out of this week.
i can't believe i'm doing it...
[back story on the bird pictures: this is a nest on our house. we've enjoyed watching for weeks. now the babies are grown and have taken flight away from home. but one of the birds will not leave our yard. i don't know if she's hurt or just a late bloomer. but she's having a lot of trouble leaving. she tries. and tries and tries and tries. but she always makes her way back up to a ledge on our deck and sits. for hours. and hours. contemplating taking flight. building courage to take that next step. dreaming of what her life will be from her new perspective. or something like that. ha.
i just find it incredibly symbolic that this particular week we have had her company. every day her mom comes and still feeds her. and she even nestles in our planter boxes to sleep. but momma bird has been coming less and less each day. so of course... i'm feeding her. and she's marking my deck. ;) so yea - just in case you didn't think i needed therapy before about leaving, well not leaving, my kids and such - i just wanted to solidify that i do in fact. and i will bring up the bird in my first session. oh, and the bird is still here.]
so this week, while i'm spreading MY wings and facing a huge fear of mine and you're having a drink...know that you're having a drink with me. because alcohol is going to be my saving grace and i'm guaranteed to have a drink in my hand for the next 7 days straight.
cheers. and holy shit, here i go.
"But, if I stayed here with you girls
Things just couldn't be the same
'Cause I'm as free as a bird now
And this bird, you can not change
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
And this bird you cannot change
And this bird you cannot change
Lord knows, I can't change
Lord help me, I can't change
Lord I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah?"
- Lynyrd Skynyrd (Free Bird)
4 comments:
You can totally do this, Mols. I think you are going to surprise yourself and end up having an incredible time. You are such an amazing wife, mom, friend, and cousin. I am SO proud of you for taking such a huge leap! I can't wait to see all of the pictures and hear the stories. I will miss our morning chats for the next week :( I love you so much, have a blast!!!
Molly, I have been a loyal reader of your blog but have never posted a comment until now. I was very touched by the bird story, too cute! But I can also totally relate to your feelings. Being torn between allowing yourself some "me" time and spending every waking minute with your kids is a tough one... and I struggle with this as well. You are definitely not alone and it is alot more common than you think. I also have two little girls and I am a stay at home mom. So I can totally relate! The most I have ever left them is for 5hrs and thats with my mom. So going away for a week is a HUGE leap for you! That is GREAT! I am so happy for you and glad you have the courage to do it and I really hope you enjoy it! :) There might be times when you will miss them like crazy, but just remember they are in good hands and this is a good thing for them as hard as that is to believe. They need time away from us also,and its not like its an every day thing. I need to practice what I preach huh... lol. I really hope you enjoy your trip and cant wait to hear how it went for you guys.
Aw Molly! I know you can do it! It's not gonna be easy - just drink as much as you can-lol! But just remember how good this is for you and Jason. Have a wonderful trip!
Beautifully written. You can do this! Have fun and enjoy your carefree, non scheduled days :) Can't wait to hear about how everyone not only survived, but thrived on a little time apart.
Post a Comment